Thursday, June 5, 2008

Jens Recipe File

I am going to try and Post at least one Recipe a month. I love to cook and try new recipes so please feel free to share your favorites with me. This one is for Alysia... hope you like it.
This is my Grandma's recipe, it its supposed to be a side dish but I have added chicken and made it a meal. This is not for those watching their weight, sodium or becoming vegan. (I don't add the extra salt and I use less butter.)

Cheesy Broccoli Bake

1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cup boiling water
1 package (6 oz) herb stuffing mix
2 (10oz) Packages broccoli,
thawed drained
salt
2 TBS butter
2TBS flour
1 (3oz) pkg. softened cream cheese
1/4 cup milk
1 chicken bouillon cube, crushed
4 green onions
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Combine 1/4 cup butter, 1 1/2 cups boiling water and stuffing mix. Mix well and let stand 5 min. Stir. Line shallow 2 quart baking dish with stuffing mixture. Arrange broccoli spears on top of stuffing. Sprinkle with salt.
Melt the 2 TBS of butter in a sauce pan, stir in flour. Remove from heat. Add cream cheese, stirring until smooth. Add 3/4 cup of milk and bouillon cube. Return to low heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Stir in chopped green onions. Spoon sauce over broccoli and sprinkle with cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for 35 to 40 minutes in 350 degree oven.

7 comments:

Cakester said...

This is a really good recipe, Jen. I think Grandma Price found it in a Southern Living magazine. If I were making this one now, I would probably use unsalted butter and cut the amount of butter used to make the stuffing.

Reno 411 said...

Sounds yummy!

Amy said...

I like your recipe idea. Maybe I'll start doing the same thing. Then we can all share our favorite recipes!

Jen said...

I forgot, I usually steam the broccoli first.

Jas & Cam Fam said...

We miss you guys already! HOw is the weahter in Vegas? Kate just saw Owens picture and got excited! Don't let him forget her!
I love your blogs new look! HOw did you do it?

Alysia said...

Thanks Jen! I can't wait to try it. We miss you guys lots already too. I will have to buy all the ingredients when I go shopping today.

Jon and Nicole Palmer said...

This sounds so yummy! I think I'll try it for dinner this week. I'm excited to see the rest of your recipes--good idea!


View My Stats
TCBOTB
 
design by suckmylolly.com